We accept applications to install memorials, plaques, sculptures or art works on VicTrack land.
Applications are assessed against the principles in our Memorial, Plaques, Sculptures & Art Works Policy.
If your application is successful, we create a land lease to enable the installation and ongoing maintenance of the work.
A summary of the principles include:
- Memorials, plaques, sculptures and other art works, including access ways, circulation areas and areas for quiet contemplation must be located a safe distance from operational rail corridors and in a location that does not interfere with public areas required for access to key infrastructure necessary for the safe operation of public transport.
- Installations must meet VicTrack and Accredited Rail Operator standards to ensure public safety.
- For safety reasons, no installations shall use green or red lighting or colours.
- Installations that fall into disrepair or become a public safety issue, will be removed at the expense of the lessee.
- Installations must be designed, where possible, with anti-vandalism, anti-graffiti and anti-theft features and must not be attached to rail infrastructure.
- The lessee will be responsible for ongoing maintenance of the installation including removal of graffiti, litter and keeping the area tidy and safe for public access.
- If the installation is stolen, a new online application to replace the installation with additional anti-theft measures will be assessed via the Land Use Review Panel.
- Installations must not be offensive, racist, derogatory or demeaning.
- Private memorial areas will not be allowed.
How to apply
The application must:
- Be made using our online form for leasing property
- address the policy principles above
- include an engineer’s report confirming the structural integrity of the installation.
- include a statement of the significance and link to siting the installation on transport land including a strong connection to the site and, if appropriate, the history of the area.
- include a statement that explains the community/cultural significance of the proposed location and installation.
- demonstrate wide community support for the installation and in particular support from the key stakeholders with specific connections to all people being commemorated.